- Students must complete a 36-hour driver's education class and hold a valid Virginia Learner's Permit before beginning Behind-the-Wheel.
- Behind-the-Wheel is taught in 7 periods. Each period will consist of 50 minutes of driving and 50 minutes of observation.
- Each period has been designed to give the student a variety of driving experiences in the following areas:
Period one - Residential driving areas
Period two - Non-interstate highway
Period three - Congested traffic, such as downtown and mall areas
Period four - Interstate highways
Period five - Mountain roads
Period six - Backing and parking skills
Period seven - Review of skills/license test
- Behind-the-Wheel is scheduled individually with each student. We schedule driving for after-school hours, Saturday mornings and during school holidays.
- Students who live in the Roanoke City/County area (including Salem and Vinton) will be picked up at home or school and returned to their home after the driving lesson is over. If you live outside the Roanoke City/County area, the instructor and parent can work out an agreeable meeting point.
- Parents are required to have driven with their child for 45 hours, 15 of those after sunset (night driving). We recommend that most or all of these hours be completed before scheduling behind-the-wheel.
- Students who successfully complete our driver training program will receive DMV Form DTS B. Once the student turns 16 years, 3 months, has had a learner's permit for 9 months, and upon parental consent (signature), the DTS B certificate, accompanied by a learner's permit, serves as a 180-day temporary license.
- During that 180-day period, students who were under the age of 18 at the time the permanent license was processed will be notified to appear before a judge to receive their permanent license. Students are not required to attend the licensing ceremony if the permanent license was processed after they reached the age of 18.
- Full payment is required before Behind-the-Wheel will be scheduled.
- Licensed by the Department of Motor Vehicles
- Click here to download a Behind-the-Wheel application.