Jay and Nancy Childress founded the Roanoke Valley Driver Training School in 1983.
Beginning as a single-car operation, we now have five cars with experienced driving instructors serving the Roanoke area. We were the first commercial driver training school in the state of Virginia to contract Behind-the-Wheel with a public school system and have been under contract with Salem City Schools since 1992. We enjoy training students from all area schools, including home-schooled students.
- 9-day classes are offered in June and July
- 2017 class dates are: June 12 - 22 and July 10 - 20
- Classes are held at North Cross School
- Classes meet 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
- Classes are taught by Jay Childress
- Instruction is available 12 months a year.
- Behind-the-wheel includes 7 periods. Each period is 50 minutes of driving instruction and 50 minutes of observation.
- We pick up students at home or school in the Roanoke City/County area.
- Behind-the-wheel is taught after school and during school vacations and holidays.
- All instructors are experienced area school teachers.